Fridge Removal Tips
Moving a Fridge almost seems a no-brain er , but make no mistake there are risks which needs to be considered. Proper planning, right tools and a second person help can almost make the move easy.
Read the user Manual
- All major leading brands have proper moving instructions printed on their manuals, and they should be followed so warranty is not void.
Remove the Contents
- Get an Icebox and remove all the frozen contents of the fridge/freezer and move them over to the Icebox.
- Remove and get rid of all other contents from the fridge. Milk and other leftover contents with short shelf life is always better to be given away or thrown away.
- Shutdown the fridge and remove the plug from the socket , wrap the cord and let it sit for at-least a 6 hours to defrost before a move can be attempted. Overnight shutdown is easiest and most recommended. This will also let the gasses settle down for the move.
- Leave the door open, so it can defrost quicker and so it does not have foul smell.
- This is also a good opportunity now to give the fridge a good clean in and out.
- Remove all movable shelves and boxes out or use strong tape to secure them inside the fridge because movable items can easily get damage in transit vibrations. A good tape is recommended as cheap packing tape can cause permanent stains in the fridge interiors.
- You may also want to get protective sheets to protect the surface against scratches while in transit. Handy glad-wrap is also a cheap and quick protection against minor transit scratches. Our removalists use moving blankets for protection during transit.
- Close the fridge door and secure it with a rope, so it cannot open in transit.
- Get a 2 wheel trolley , and load the fridge from the back, so any potential scratches are not visible after re-installation.
- Using a moving strap is always a help especially when there are stairs involved.
- If you think the size of the fridge is too big for you to handle, you are probably right, get a friend to help you with the move.
- Clear the doorway and any potential trip hazards upfront.
- Measure the doors and choose a path with most clearance to the fridge.
- Do not tilt the fridge too much, as this can cause cooling gas to destabilize and result in irreparable damage to the fridge.
- If there are more than two steps involved in the move, it will need 2 men for the move.
Loading & Unloading
- Use a truck ramp to load it in the truck and secure it inside the truck with straps.
- After unloading and positioning the fridge in location, make sure you do not switch it on until at-least 6 Hours. Gases need to stabilize before a power on. ( refer to the user manual for exact requirements, as any action not recommended can lead to warranty void on your fridge )