Heavy furniture removal tips
Melbourne city Movers are the heavy item move specialists, serving Melbourne for the last 10 years. Heavy furniture items like Cabinets, Dining table , lounges etc are not easy to move. Some care and tricks are needed to avoid back injury or muscle spams. There are simple techniques, if followed correctly can help in a safe move.
In brief our removalists recommend the below, when handling heavy furniture :
- Plan upfront, check the weight of cabinets and if they are over 50 kilos, it is recommended to remove the contents before the move.
- Move the pets to another room so there is no trip hazard , and it will also prevent injury to your dear animals.
- If there are young children in the house , arrange a baby sitter for the day or send them child care if possible. As they can be trip hazard and can result in injury to children or yourself.
- Do measurements around the door ways and driveways to help you with the best possible route to take the items out for loading in the truck. More clearance around the cabinets will ensure there is no damage done to doors and walls while moving the furniture.
- Clear the way, remove all trip hazards like door-mats etc. Put these trip hazards in boxes or move them to a side.
- Open all doors upfront so the way is all clear unto the truck ramp.
- Do not try to act strong and show off when making an attempt to lift heavy furniture. Try not to bend your back but bend your knees.
- Its best to hire back protection gear / belts before attempting to lift heavy furniture.
- Lift straps are used by more and more moving companies these days. They help in lifting and walking with minimum effort. If you can get your hands on one, it will make your task much easier.
- Use a furniture removal trolley if moving more than 50 kilo of weight.
- Hire a furniture removal truck or van with hydraulic lifts or tail gates to make a pain free loading and unloading of heavy furniture.
- Use protection gloves to protect your fingers against fatigue and steel capped boots to protective your feet against a heavy item fall.
- Get a knee cap gear for extra protection.
Good luck with your Furniture move and do not forget to contact the pros at Melbourne City Movers if you need any more assistance.