Melbourne city Movers have been furniture removalists in the moving industry in Melbourne for more than 10 years. We meet new customers daily and request them to post some reviews for us. After requesting 10 customers only 1 is able to find spare time to post a review. This world is not perfect , delays happen , accidents happen and evil competitor intentions cannot be avoided. So our reviews are a mixed lot and i suppose most companies encounter similar issues to us.
But when you search in google and see more than 500 reviews shown by some companies and that too all 5 stars, it surprises me a lot. And its not just one removals company , most companies I see online show these 5 star reviews in huge numbers. Companies are gaming the system to attract new customers and the real customers cannot even post a review on these company’s sites.
I do not pass the blame for our faults here, but jut want to put a few scenarios, where we are negatively judged :
- We are one some rare occasion, late in the afternoon jobs because of unexpected delays in the morning move jobs. We try to allow enough time for both the moves but sometimes the situations are completely out of our control.
- Road accidents and emergencies cannot be avoided and result is a delayed start.
- Competitors do not need a reason to discredit others by posting a negative review for their own gain.
- Accidental damages happen during the moves, very rarely though. We do the right thing getting the repairs done and engaging our insurance to help our customers, but unfortunately even after all repairs some customers are unwilling to alter their review, and the site admins do not allow us to post a response about the action taken by us or they demand unrealistic amount of money to just post a reply.
- Some try to milk the system and post negative reviews just to get refunds over falsely claimed damages.
As you can see above, there are multiple occasions on which you cannot escape a negative review, but somehow there are many companies with no negative review over the last many years…. suprisingly!.
Conclusion is that the review system is all managed by software and companies cannot be trusted at all. All I Hope is that customers are clever enough to understand that this is not a perfect world and companies are laying a trap to catch them.
When hiring a moving company you will face many questions especially if you have substantial amount of furniture . One of the biggest dilemma is to decide the size of the truck. Options are to go for a bigger truck and do 1 trip or go for a smaller truck and do two trips. Both options have their own advantages and disadvantages. Below are some of the points which should help you in making a calculated decision.
Situation : Moving within 15 km radius.
Recommendation : Smaller truck with 2 trips.
- In short moves travel is minimal, most of the time is accounted for loading and unloading plus the extra half an hour for the second trip.
- Smaller trucks can be loaded quicker than a bigger Truck, because you do not have to stack everything precisely to fit. So the extra time for travel is compensated by quicker load .
- The truck is smaller and easier to park especially in moves around the city and easier to maneuver in the tight city spaces and corners.
- Hourly rate for the smaller truck is generally lower than a bigger truck, and will definitely save in cost.
Situation : Moving beyond 15 km radius.
Recommendation : 1 trip is recommended on a bigger truck.
- In long distance moves, only one trip option is feasible.
- Two trips are not recommended because it will take longer in travel time and also extra fuel costs.
Moving furniture brings its own kinds of issues sometimes. We try to ask as many questions as possible during booking process but there can be many surprises when the actual job starts. Occasionally it happens that we are forced to cancel services on the spot, below are a few of our experiences :
- Rubbish Removals :The houses are not a very good condition and all that is being moved is rubbish, the experiences we had in these removals jobs is that , the boys reluctantly load the rubbish and when they reach the destination , there is no one to pay or take delivery and we are stuck with removal of rubbish. So sometimes we have to explain our clients that we are not a rubbish removal company and cannot help them.
- Health Hazard: It has happened that the smell and filth encountered in some homes forces the boys to refuse the job. We as managers have a responsibility to give our removalists a safe and comfortable environment , and if they refuse a job we cannot force them to do it.
- Safety Hazard : If there are glass and other construction materials scattered around the house, it becomes a safety trip hazard and may be an injury risk to the moving team. The boys have the right to assess and refuse the job.
- Verbal Abuse: Occasionally we encounter verbal abuse at the hands of our clients without no reason at all, if the matter gets out of hand the boys just walk away from job, or in some cases the police had to be called to intervene. Our Moving teams are very respectful and understand that moving is a stressful time for many people, but threat of violence and racial abuse is not tolerated and will result in instant cancellation of job.