Piano Moving Guide
Melbourne City Movers have been moving Upright Piano from a long long time. Piano is a heavy furniture item, and a removals job can never be taken lightly. Planning and patience is needed to make a successful piano move. I have listed some of the points which will make your Piano move much easier.
- Clear the doorways and driveways, so there is no hindrance or trip hazard along the way. If the door ways are narrow, its best to remove the door so the piano does not cause damage when pushed out.
- If there are kids in the house, they should not be running around. Arrange a baby sitter for them to avoid any unwanted injury.
- Pets should be locked up in a room, to avoid trip overs and injury to animals.
- Hire or buy a piano trolley/dolly, its a low profile four wheel trolley with Plastic Tyres, and strong enough to handle in excess of 400 kilos.
- In case of Timber flooring, use protective sheets / blankets before you start rolling the piano, heavy furniture can damage timber flooring or leave unwanted marks.
- Measure the doors ways before loading the piano. Make sure piano can pass through the doors with at least 2 inch clearance.
- Piano is easily affected by weather and humidity, it is advisable to check the weather report before planning a piano move.
- Remove any loose piano covers, as they can rattle and fall off in transit.
- Transit Van or Removals truck should have hydraulic lift / tailgate to lift the piano .
- Wrap the piano with blankets , towels or protective sheets so the polished surface of the piano does not get scratched.
- Assess your navigation route, so there are no bumps on the road . Internal working mechanism of a piano can get affected with bumps and resonance from rough roads. Resulting in permanent damage to the Piano acoustics.
- In-case there are stairs involved in the move, it is most advisable to consult a piano removalist for the job, removalists have special ramps which assist them moving a piano smoothly over the stairs.
Good luck with your piano move and do not forget to contact the pros at Melbourne City Movers if you need any more assistance.